Monday, January 30, 2012

Free At Last!

Yes, I know this is a very famous line by Dr. Martin Luther King, but it is how I am feeling today. In this day and age we are lucky to have the freedom of speech. Freedom of religion, freedom to walk around with out our faces covered. Freedom to bare arms. Freedom to skip down the sidewalk holding hands with my kids. Freedom to bake chocolate chip cookies. Freedom to use a flushy toilet.
Let's be realistic here. Some things are truly great freedoms and some are things that we can just do because we live with great privileges in this country.
But, none of these are the joyous freedom I'm feeling lately. I am basking in the wonderful feeling of being free from debt.
Yes, you read that right. Freedom from debt! Can I get a woot, woot.
After 12 years of marriage, several financial hiccups, a lay off, one too many impulse buys and a couple medical bills we are out of the bonds that bind us to those debts.
All we have remaining is our house and the usual monthly bills, utilities, phones, food, gas and gymnastics. It is the best feeling in the world. Not to mention the pocket book is a little thicker.
Unfortunately though, it seems that just when you think you're in the clear something happens. Ty's is car making a horrible sound and my van needs a new front axle. But, now we know we can afford the repairs. My doing the repairs ourselves hopefully we'll be saving money and be able to put off acquiring more debt in the form of a car payment. If the cars can just hold on a little longer till we can a savings built back up. (It was depleted when Ty was laid off for almost 8 months.) Then hopefully we can make a nice down payment, resulting in a low monthly payment and less debt.
For now, I'm going to rejoice in my new found freedom and not sweat the small stuff.
Ahhh... what a wonderful feeling.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Keri, that is so wonderful! I think my kids will be grown and out of the house before we're finally out of debt. Those students loans will probably hang on forever!

Missy said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I am so excited for you. I can't wait til the day I can write that. It will still be a while we still have a student loan. Oh, and my hubby bought a truck.
ha ha, my word verification is hoteri! Is that like Keri and hot combined?

mom said...

Good for you guys! It is a very liberating feeling to be debt free. Good luck with your savings. That is so important. Following the Prophets counsel will bring blessings.
To your sisters- Student loans are justifiably debts.