Friday, December 2, 2011

Just Breathe

It's funny how there are somethings we never really think about. We just know that it will happen. Such as the fact that when we wake the sun will be shining or stars will be out at night. I was brought back to the reality of truly immortal we are. Yesterday my day started out with a very congested and wheezing baby. I talked with Tyler and decided I wasn't going to 'wait it out' Sawyer needed to see a doc. I made the appt. and took him in. The doc. prescribed a few prescriptions and said we were lucky to have brought him early enough because his cough could have turned into croup. I thanked him and away we went.
Tyler was willing to pick up the prescriptions for me that were faxed into the pharmacy by the doc for me. I love modern technology. Well, when Ty went to pick them up the pharmacy was out of the cough meds with the steroid in it. They offered to transfer it to another store but Ty said, "no we'll just get it tomorrow" After all the doc wasn't too concerned because Sawyer wasn't really wheezing or coughing as bad in his office.
In the mean time I had left to do gymnastic trade as Ty pulled up at the house. H e gave Sawyer the first meds and cuddled him. When I arrived home I found a very lethargic baby. He had thrown-up while I was gone and daddy cleaned it up and gave him a vapor bath to try and clear his air ways. We put some infants 'Vicks' vapor rub on his chest and hoped for a little relief.
Sicknesses in little ones is usually companion's with very nasty diapers. We were lucky enough to meet several of these nasty, acid, bum-eating, ill-smelling diapers. As I was changing Sawyer's bum he was trying to cry because it hurt so bad. However, as he attempted to cry not a sound came out. He looked at me with wide eyes and kept moving around. Then he would try to get more sound out. Again, no crying. He gasped for air with each attempt. I quickly scooped him up and held him close to me. I could feel faint air coming out and then a giant gasp as he tried to fill his little lungs again.
As I held him close to my chest I could feel his cave in as he tried to suck in enough air to breathe. I put my hand on his chest and it sank in as gasped for breath.
I'm not going to lie, at this point I was scared. I lifted his shirt and looked at his chest. It was the scariest thing to see. He would try to breathe and his chest sank so far in I could see his ribs and it seemed as it you could make out exactly where his deflated lungs were.
I called up stairs to Tyler and he came down to find me in tears holding Sawyer. I explained my concern and worries and he quickly agreed to take him into the insta-care down the street. I then decided wait, I'm coming with you. Kenz sat at home with the sleeping boys until I could call a neighbor to come over.
We made it to the insta-care only to find that it closed at 8. Really people 8pm. I called up my good friend Tara explained what was going on and she quickly headed to my house to be with my kids. A true blessing of friend-ship. She is always willing to drop everything and be there for me. I am so blessed to know so many true friends like this.
Ty and I started heading over to the hospital when I had a prompting to call our doctor's office. What are the chances someone would answer the phone after 10 at night. Well, some one did. We told her what was happening and that we weren't able to get the cough meds and that Sawyer had shallow breathing and we were on our way tot the hospital. She said she would call the doc. and find out what he wanted us to and we'd get a call back.
A few minutes later, Ty's phone rings and it's our family doctor on the other line telling us what he wanted us to do. He knew that Sawyer needed this prescription filled. so he was going to call it into the 24 hr 'Walgreens'. He wanted us to head to Orem to pick it up.
When we got to Orem we discovered it had closed and was no longer a 24hr. pharmacy. Then Tyler's phone rand again and it was the doc. he called to tell us he tried the Orem one and discovered what we had but, the Provo 'Walgreens' was 24 hr. they had the prescription. He explained what the medicine would do and how it would open up his chest and help him breathe.
As soon as I had the cough syrup in my hands I gave Sawyer his dose. With-in 30 minutes he started improving. By the time we got home he had falling asleep and only had a deep snoring sound coming out. I have never been so grateful to hear snoring in my life.
As of this morning Sawyer has played with a few toys. He has taken a few bites of food. He's chased after Dawson. He even gave me a giggle when I tickled his tummy. Most of all he's breathing. He still is wheezing a little and coughing but, air is coming in and out and in and out.
I am so thankful for the miracles in my life. My wonderful husband that honors his priesthood and can give our sick baby a blessing of healing and comfort. He is the corner stone of our family's foundation and my rock. I am thankful for the 4 miracles I am blessed with that call me mother. I am thankful for modern technology and for amazing doctors that call patients at late hours of the night. I am humbled and will be forever grateful for good friends and loving family that rush over without hesitation to offer help and support. And I am grateful for my Heavenly Father whom gave me comfort and peace in my time of need.

Side note: As I typed this up my doctor called me at home to check on Sawyer and how he was doing. This doctor is a keeper and in my opinion has earned his way into Heaven.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Scary, I'm glad to hear all is well!

mom said...

Whoa that was some experience from the time we talked to what ended up transpiring. Glad everything turned out OK and you followed your inspiration. Priesthood in the home is such a blessing.

Janelle said...

How scary! I don't know if I could've resisted calling 9-11 or headed to the nearest hospital. I'm glad he got the help he needed.