The other day we were watching 'Kung Fu Panda' and this little quote really caught my attention. So I thought I would share it with you all.
It's a conversation between the old wise turtle (forgot his name) and Po the doubting, new Dragon Warrior.
"Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
Today is a gift,
That is why it's called the Present."
This was thought provoking for me at the time. I often find myself dwelling on things in the past or things that have already happened and are out of my control now. Those things are over and done with, move on! Or how many of us think that tomorrow will bring some great new surprise or be a better day?
Why not make the day we're living right here, right now the best day it can be. There might not be anything exciting going on, but make the down time priceless. Cherish the moments in our day when we can sit and cuddle with our children. Have you ever sat and just listened to your children play and laugh. It's priceless to hear their little imaginations at work. And all the sound effects one little 'toy' or boy can make. Or those wonderful moments when we can take a shower without being interrupted. When older kids come home from school do we welcome them home with hugs and praise and "I missed yous" or do we hurry them along to clean up their stuff and get goin' on homework? Do our older children know how much they mean to us.
When our spouses get home do greet them with a loving tone or do we 'jump down their throats' with a bunch of things that went wrong in our day and negative comment after comment? Would you want to come home to that. Do they know how appreciated they are and all the sacrifices they make for their family.
I realized I need to pause a little longer and re-evaluate some things and live in this present moment with my family and make today the best day it can be.
After all, the dishes and laundry will still be there tomorrow. That's not a mystery.
But before we know it our kids will be grown, we'll be old and more wrinkled. And I don't want to waste time wondering if I gave my kids all the love they deserve. Or if they know how special they are. I want to reflect in the joy I have being their mother and know I love them the best I can love.
I want to sit on a little porch swing holding hands with Tyler and bask in the joy of having our grandchildren running around us. I want to comfort my children when they go through their trials as parents. And cry tears of joy with them on happy occasions. And each night I want to lay down with my busband and smile to myself knowing that tomorrow is going to be as great as today!
I want to say I lived in the present and each day was gift for me.
One more thought to leave you with;
Each day comes baring it's gifts; all you have to do is untie the ribbons.
2 comments:
Life's joys are given to us each day. It is up to us to find them and enjoy them.
How true your comments are. You turn around twice and they're grown. Sometimes I can't believe you kids are all grown and gone with families of your own. Where did the time go? Seems like just yesterday the house was full and we were all vying for BR time. Now it's guiet around here and I can appreciate this phase of life. Do take advantage of the time of life you are in. It will change quickly enough.
Post a Comment