Thursday, February 10, 2011

Shot in The Butt.

It's that time of year again. For me at least. Kindergarten Registration. I picked up the kindergarten packet and set about filling it out. When I got to the immunization records I realized Dawson was in need of a few shots. I made his appt with the Doc. and we were set. The only problem was telling Dawson he was going to need shots. I decided that I would let the Doc. break the news, not me. So away we went.
They took his temp, checked his eyes, 20/20 vision, did his height and weight. Are you ready for these stats. 5 yrs old, 41 lbs. and 3ft. 10in. I don't know about most other kids but, 3ft 10in seems really tall to me. I looked at him and thought, 'Holy Moly, he really is going to be taller than me soon.' I'm 5'5.
Then it came time for the inevitable shots. There he was laying on his tummy on the bed while I hugged him and talked in his ear. He was crying and scared. I reassured him as best as I could. Even Sawyer was watching to see what was happening to his big brother. 4 shots later, Dawson was still alive, a little tender in the lower cheeks area, but OK. Sawyer even crawled over to give his big brother hugs. Then everything was fine when Dawson saw the camo band-aids they put on his bum. He thought they were pretty cool.
While we were there Dawson asked the Doc. if he could make his warts go away. 'D' has one on each pinky. I've tried to get rid of them at home with OTC. stuff, but nothing has worked. So yesterday they got frozen. The Doc. had Dawson count to 10 as he slowly froze each one. He also mentioned that Dawson has a very strong pain tolerance because he didn't even flinch with the icy cold blasts.
Later that evening Dawson did complain that his warts hurt. He was coloring and the markers were rubbing on the sores. I gave him some pain meds to hopefully help him. He seemed better once that kicked in.
All in all he's doing good and is ready for kindergarten. Except for one little bit of info I have yet to tell Dawson, he has to go back in for one more shot. They were all out of the chicken pox booster.
On a side note, Tyler happened to call while we were in the doctor's office. He talked to Dawson from the top of a mountain in Zion's National Park. He was at the peak of 'Angel's Landing'. Dawson thought it was so cool he told the doctor all about it.

1 comment:

mom said...

Successful Doc visit it sounds like. He'll be the kid that's always in the back row. Why was Ty on a mountain on a week day?