Friday, February 25, 2011

Mother Nature's Cruel Joke.

A week ago I was outside working in my flower beds. Yes it was a beautiful sunny yet chilly day. I couldn't help but get outside. I wanted to soak up some much needed Vit D' sunshine. I cleaned out the flower bed infront of my porch. It was covered in leaves and some dead flowers that I didn't get cleaned out last fall.
 As I raked away and cleared the nasty crap out of my flower bed, I discovered a happy, promising hint of spring. Tulips are coming up. It made me so happy. The thought of warmer weather being just around the corner. Who couldn't be cheered by this thought.

I also discovered a hole. That did not bring me cheer. A few years ago everyone out here had these mouse like creatures called Voles. They're slightly bigger than a mouse but don't have a tail like one.

 Once while working in my flower bed one sat right inside it's hole with it's face sticking out just watching me. It wasn't even scared. Little stinker.

Any way, voles have a whole tunnel system like gophers, that connect all the their holes. These little suckers reeked havoc on lawns, gardens, flowers, shrubs. If they liked the way it tasted, you were screwed. One good thing, they don't get in houses.

One neighbor would shoot them with a BB Gun when they'd get trapped in his window well. Yet, on the extreme opposite side another neighbor would catch them, walk up the street and release them back into the mountain. Hello, that's where they came from!!
I killed mine with Decon bricks. I put one in each hole ad never saw those little buggers again. Till now. I bought me some poison and shove it down their holes again.
Anyhow, back to Mother Nature. Well, she had different plans for my flower beds. They are once again covered in snow. We woke up this morning to about 8 inches of snow. I guess I'll wait to clean out my other flower bed infront of my kitchen windows.

1 comment:

mom said...

Dad woulds love to get his blow gun after them. Spring is coming soon. I bet you will have the nicest flower beds on the block when you're done.