Friday, February 24, 2012

Blue and Gold Banquet

It's so fun to have a cub scout in the house. Xander gets excited every week to be able to go to his activity just for him and just for BOYS!
Last night was the scouts Blue and Gold banquet. As part of the activities planned, the boys were to make a cake and decorate it all themselves with the theme of family.
I asked Xander what he wanted his cake to look like. His first idea was for me to make a cake and make all of our faces on it. I said, "you're suppose to decorate it, not me."
"Oh yeah, it can just say family." Pretty simple when he has to do it himself.
He did add that he wanted the word 'Family' to stand up. OK. How???
He looked at me and said, "With sticks. I'll go get the axe and cut some off the tree."
Really son! Cut sticks off the tree, stick them in the cake and serve it to people.
I convinced him to use clean Popsicle sticks in stead of sticks.
Let's be honest, I think he just wanted to use the axe.
He then decided it should have sprinkles on it too. "Oh and one more thing, mom. Make the cake high not flat." Whaaaaaat.
So, while he was at school I baked his cake. I used a bunt pan. and put the cake up onto my cake stand. There you have it son, a high cake that's not flat.
When he got home he was very happy with his standing cake. He frosted it, with a little guidance from him OCD mother. Then I realized, he was having so much fun and so happy with himself I let him have at it.
The sprinkles were his idea. He wanted and blue and gold sprinkles. Very fitting if you ask me. So he sprinkled away. And sprinkled, and sprinkled, and sprinkled. Next he added the word 'Family'
I had sticky foam letters that he was more than happy to use. Stuck them to a clean Popsicle stick and stuck them into the cake. TaaDaah we were done.
And most importantly, he loved it!


He asked me what I thought of his cake.
I told him I thought it looked great.
Super yummy and sprinkled with lots of Xander love.

Then the ever helpful and thoughtful Dawson pipes up,
"That's not Xander love, it's just sprinkles."

Thanks Dawson for that insight.
Xander received the
'Best use of Scout colors' award
for his cake design.

Hey Sawyer what was your favorite part of the Blue & Gold Banquet?

They also decorated placemats as part of the night's activities. The instructions were to draw something relating to the 'Family' theme.
There were awards for the best drawing for 12 and up. And a winner for 11 and younger.
We had a winner in our family.
Tyler won for his drawing. He was so embarrassed because he was
"just doodling, not even trying."
But, his doddles are pretty dang good.
It won him a pack of Peanut Butter cups.


This was Xander's drawing.
Looks like he's got some talent too.

2 comments:

mom said...

Yes you certainly do have a talented family. Tell Xan the cake looks awesome! Sawyer has the right idea. Looks like it was a good nite for all.

mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.