We made it through Mackenzie's science fair. She didn't pass onto district. Which honestly, I'm relieved with. That would have meant one more thing to schedule into my calendar. Recently, we've been working on Xander's Abe Lincoln report. Last week there was a debate over it's due date. I had marked on my calender that the poster was due on Friday the 24th. Xander told me his teacher changed the due date until the 29th. I questioned it, but knowing Xander and what a stinky lier he his, I believed him. Then a great friend of mine who happens to be an aide in his class confirmed Xander's new date. Sweetness! We now had an extra weekend to get it done.
My friend sent the teacher a txt to double check the due date. When the reply came back, it was contrary to our new due date. It was still due on the original Friday. Oh SNAP!
My week just got a whole lot busier and stressful. Xander and I went to work on his poster. Because of my crazy schedule and by the time we found out his poster was due Friday we had to double time our pace. It was Wednesday when we discovered the date change. On Wednesday, I drive to and from gymnastics. Plus dinner gets fit in there somewhere. Also, Xander started and extra math class. (I'll explain this in another post)
Anyway, our time was limited. Thursday before just happened to be the Blue & Gold banquet. Which started at 5:30. I needed to make a cake too and I work in Dawson's class on Thursday's. Can we say CRAZINESS!!
The poster needed to include 10 facts about their person, a time line of their life, birth and death dates, and the person's name. A huge part said that the things needed to be written in the students own words. Or typed. Thank goodness it could be typed. If Xander had to write it all, it would have taken 3x as long and I would have had to spell every other word for him. He came up with the 10 facts about Abraham Lincoln and helped partially with the timeline. I typed it all up for him. His things were put into his own words. For example; one of his facts said, "His grandpa was killed by an Indian War party." I believe they called them grandfathers back then. Plus I would have added Shawnee Indian War party. In the end he came up with 17 facts. I was very proud of him for doing his research. The timeline was trickier. He only had about 5 things throughout Abe's life. I did help him research more. Then we added a cute story about Abe's beard and a copy of the Gettysburg Address.
FYI: Did you know, the Gettysburg Address only lasted 2 minutes and was only 10 sentences long , but is one of the most influential speeches ever given. Now ya know.
After we printed everything off it was time to glue it onto his poster. Xander instructed me the colors needed to be boy colors and no pink or purple was to be used.
With Xander's instructions in mind I laid out an idea and he approved. I then sent him off to bed and I attached the things to his poster.
Yes, It looks like something I would make, but it was all done in his words and his ideas. I just typed and glued. Nothing wrong there.
Here is his poster.
I'm glad I remembered to take a pic of it.
I finished it about 12:30 and my mind was fried.
His biography fair is on the 29th. He gets to present his poster and dress up like his person. I'll be going to see him in his classroom and take more pics of my little
Abraham Lincoln.
2 comments:
Don't you hate homework! Ugh.
Boy do I remember those days. Just think you guys did it all with no computers.
Post a Comment