Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ouch!

Have you ever had one of those days where it seems like everything wants to come crashing down on you all at once. Thursday was one of those days. It started off with the never ending morning battle to get kids off to school on time. As I was getting their breakfasts and lunches packed I opened the freezer to find a jar of baby food I made on Tuesday had expanded while freezing and popped it's top. So I pulled it out to defrost a bit so I could take a couple scoops out and get the lid back on.
I was also teaching preschool that day, so I put the finishing touches on my lesson stuff. Sawyer always has a melt down as preschool starts because it's getting toward nap time. Dawson was also having a melt down at the same time. He was working in a  activity book and got frustrated because he couldn't figure something out. I am now down to 20 mins before school. I still needed to get dressed and brush my teeth. I went over to the counter to take care of the baby food and get it cleaned up. As I reached into the cupboard to pull out an empty glass baby food I bumped another one and it went crashing to the counter below. Glass now covered my counter, stove, floor, and flew into the opened jar of baby food. I couldn't win!!
The good thing is that when the jar shattered, both boys stopped crying and whining. Dawson gladly took Sawyer in the other room so I could clean the mess. I got that taken care of and still had 5 mins to spare so I could dress and brush.
Preschool started and we had a success with the first  activity. Then Dawson started. He had a huge meltdown over a crayon. He threw it across the table and that was it. I put his little self in time out and continued with my lesson. The whole time he is hysterically crying and carrying on. I didn't give him another look. I went on teaching from activity to activity. I told him that when he decided he was done crying and acting up then he could join us. With 15 mins left he finally decided to come back. Once he realized I wasn't giving in and when he saw the other kids have snack, make a craft, and do other worksheets.
Preschool ended, Dawson was fine and Sawyer was once again happy. Then the phone rang. It was the secretary from the school. She was calling to tell me that Xander was down in the office with a gash on his forehead. She said, I might want to come look at it. Being the mom that I am, and being raised by the mom that I was, I have the mentality of; are you dying? Then you're OK. Or are you broken? Then get up. I told the secretary, "Linda, use your mom judgement, is he OK and can he make it the last 35 mins of school or should I come down?" She giggled and responded, "If it were my kid, I'd say he'd be fine. But, you should come down to see if you think he needs stitches." "OK", I said "I'm on my way."
So I ran to the neighbor and asked if he would watch my other boys because I didn't know what I was going to find with Xander. I just had his boy at preschool so I knew he was home. Thanks again Christian! I went to school to find Xan sitting in the nurses room with a paper towel on his forehead. As soon as he saw me it was instant tears. I removed the towel to find a gash going down his forehead. And it was swelling up. He was going to have a goose egg and bruise. That was for sure. It didn't look to bad but, he definitely needed to come home and calm down. Some good ol' liquid band-aids would take care of it.


I went up to his classroom to get his stuff for him. When I got there a couple kids in his class handed me get better soon cards they had made up for Xander. They were too cute. They made me giggle so I had to take a few pics of them to add to this post.

When we got home, things returned to normal. I was able to get preschool stuff cleaned up. Dawson and Sawyer fed. And I even managed to put make-up on. It's days like this that make me realize I grateful I am for the calm relaxing days I do manage to get once in awhile. Yet, at the same time it's days like this that make me grateful for unexpected events that make my life a little extra exciting and unpredictable.
Xander was fine, Dawson was fine, Sawyer was fine, the baby food was fine, and I SURVIVED.
It was all in a days work.


3 comments:

Kate said...

The notes are cute! I hate days like that.

mom said...

How did Xan split his forehead open? These day's definitely make you appreciate the good ones. All in a mom's day I guess.

Keri said...

Mom, he hit it on the metal door that leads outside to the playground.