Sunday, March 30, 2008

You Have to Have Cake!

Only the mind of a 6 year old could come up with this theory.
For those of you that are feeling old when it comes to birthdays, my daughter informed me how to stop having birthdays. Therefore never getting older.
As you know we recently celebrated that wonderful day when a special woman just wanted a hot fudge sundae for her birthday but instead got a beautiful, blue-eyed, red haired little girl. What a lucky woman.
Well, Mackenzie asked me what I wanted for my birthday and being a typical mom I replied, "you kids to get along and someone else to clean the house." I thought it was a good answer. She didn't. She informed me that I am the one that always cleaned and they were too little to do everything I do. (At least she sees how much I do) She then said," what kind of cake do you want? At least you don't have to make your own cake." I being me said "I don't want a cake."
Here is how the rest of the conversation went.

Kenz-"You have to have cake on your birthday."
Me-"Is it a rule?"
Kenz-"Where would you put the candles silly?"
Me- "On a brownie. Daddy makes good brownies."
Kenz-"He makes good cakes too! And he'll make you one. Because It's your birthday and you need a cake. And you need to blow out the candles on the cake because that makes it a birthday."
Me-"What if I don't have a cake or candles?"
Kenz-"Then it's not your birthday and you won't have a birthday. You have to have cake for it to be your birthday. With candles."
Me-"So if I don't have cake or candles I won't get older."
Kenz-"You won't get to blow out the candles and make a wish. And that's when it's your birthday and you turn older."
Me-"So if I don't then...."
Kenz-"You will still be 30!" "You want to be 31 right!"
Me-"So if I stopped having cake and candles when I was 29, how old would I be now."
Kenz-"29"
Me-"So if I didn't have a cake when I turned 30 I would still be, how old?"
Kenz-"You would be 29. That comes before 30 right."
ME-"I see."

So the moral of my story is. Pick an age you like and then stop having birthday cake with candles. and you'll never get older again. If it only worked that easily. We could forever be 29.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Just think of it having been your 3rd 29th birthday. And next year your 4th 29th birthday, and so on!

Dan said...

Is anyone else hearing the "Toys~R~Us" theme playing in their head?

Missy said...

ha ha, I love that logic. I would much rather have a birthday donut (dunkin please) then birthday cake. Unless of course Kate is making me a homemade one!