Monday, September 3, 2012

So Much Help.

Sawyer is my little helper. Sometimes he's more help than I need him to be. After church one day I was in the mood to make a treat. Nothing is better on a lazy Sunday afternoon then fresh baked cookies. Am I right, or what. So I set about making my cookies. Soon my little helper came running in to join me.
I set him on the counter next to me as I placed the cookies on the tray. He was a huge help here. I kept him on the counter as turned around and threw some stuff away. Then I kept him there as I popped the cookies in the oven. Gotta be safe, right.
In the mean time, Tyler had left for home teaching and the other kids were playing various games. Once the cookies were in, I ran upstairs to use the bathroom. Before my potty break, I chatted with Xander, who was in his room playing with Lego's. Then I went into the bathroom. Within a few seconds of me being in there, Xander and Dawson came screaming for me.
"Mom, mom, mom, your cookies are smoking in the oven. The whole house is smoking."
WHAAAAATTTT!!!!!
I ran downstairs and sure enough, smoke was billowing out of the oven vent. The inside of the oven was so smoke filled you couldn't see in the window.
I turned the oven off, flipped on the fan, opened windows, opened the front door and then opened the oven. I pulled the charred cookies out and quickly took them to the front porch. Following me was a trail of burnt, smokey, stench.  
My cookies had met their own, charred death.


At some point when I had my back turned to Sawyer, he reached over and turned my oven "on" or up. I had it preheated and he turned the nob when it beeped letting me know it was preheated.
It was turned up to 475 degrees. Guess that's a little warm to bake cookies on.

The boys decided they wanted to try one.
They didn't finish them.
(I'll explain the bucket in another post.)

2 comments:

mom said...

WOW! That had to be scary. Did it ruin your cookie sheet? Hope they didn't break their teeth on those things. How is it that those cookies are perfectly round and all the exact same size? Practice makes perfect?

Kate said...

Burnt cookies = sad face.