Sunday, January 30, 2011

New Beginnings

This past Wednesday was our Young Women's New Beginnings program. New Beginnings is when we kick off the new year with a special program to meet the new incoming Beehives (girls turning 12) for the year and to introduce the Personal Progress program.
The night's theme was A.R.M.Y. -A Righteous Mormon Youth. Complete with a B.O.O.T -Building Our Own Testimony Camp.
We made up a couple different obstacles for the girls to participate in. There was a 'Man Down' station- with the theme of: 'Help Lift One Another's Burdens.' A shooting range to encourage the girls to 'Shoot Down Temptation.' An army crawl obstacle- 'When You're Too Weak to Stand, Kneel.' The girls had to do jumping jacks with the spiritual meaning of 'Expand Yourself and Your Testimony.' Last but not least there was a High Knees tire jump; 'Step Up For What You Believe.'
The Boot Camp activities were a great way to start the evening. The program consisted of a few spiritual messages from the YW.Pres. The 2nd Councilor and the Beehive advisor. The Beehive class did a skit for everyone. It was humorous but, very effective. The skit introduced each of the YW.values and their purpose. A small group of girls sang 'We Believe.'  Following the song, I gave a talk on Personal Progress and it's importance. Then I gave a presentation on the Personal Progress website. Yes, Personal Progress is all on-line now. So there's no more excuses for not doing it "cause you can't find your book."
After the Personal Progress portion the Beehive class spotlighted all the new girls that would be joining YW. during this year. Following the introductions of the new girls the Bishop spoke on testimonies and the importance of gaining your own. Then every one's favorite part; refreshments!
Here are some pics of the decorations and a couple of the activities.



Who's Army are you in?






           Registration Table.
 Here the girls received their 'Dog Tags' and a camo bandanna.




Mess Tent:
AKA Refreshments
Cupcakes made by Jennifer Hanna




Decorations

More Decorations.

The netting was donated by Camp Williams Army Base.




Part of the Boot Camp Obstacle Course.


High Knees.

Step Up For What You Believe.
Shoot Down Temptation




Army Crawl


When You're Too Weak To Stand; Kneel




          The Beehive Class doing their Skit.
Singing 'We Believe'







Jessica showing off her mad shooting skills. 
Nothing says ARMY like camo face paint.

The night was a huge success. I hope that all the girls went home that evening with a desire to strengthen their own testimonies and a new conviction and dedication to Personal Progress.

3 comments:

Keri said...

Mom, I posted these pics on Face Book and I want to share with you what Liz (Gaspar)said, "Our moms would be so proud and so would Jan." I just thought you'd enjoy her comment.

mom said...

Before I saw your above comment, I was thinking about all the neat programs we were able to do with you YW. That was the calling I loved the most of all I've had in the church. It's nice to think Liz remembers those days, too. Those were the best.
Your program sounded wonderful. Lots of effort obviously went into it but the YW are so worth it. these are the things they remember long after they are over. Job well done to all the leaders.

Jen H. said...

I stole some of your pics to put on my blog, thanks for all your help! YOU ROCK!