Well, today was the day for Kenz. It was do or die time. OK not that extreme. It was jump day. She and I had a huge heart to heart on Friday after a very bad gymnastic day. We laughed and cried together. As we drove to gymnastics this afternoon her confidence was pretty shaky. I had said something hurtful to her because she was giving me attitude. And because feelings were hurt her confidence was weak.
I realized my mistake and I apologized to her. I stressed to her that no matter what happened today at gymnastics I wanted her to know that I am still very proud of her. That she is an awesome gymnast and I have and always will have confidence in her. I believe in her and I know she can do anything she puts her mind to. But, first and foremost she's my daughter and I love her no matter what. And yes, by this time she and I were both in tears.
As she was getting out of the car, I asked her if she wanted me to come watch her? She said, how can you, you have the boys. I told her that if she wanted me there, I'd be there. She said "yes, I want you there." So I rescheduled a YW visit and told the YW. councilor that my daughter wanted me to come watch her and I wasn't going to let her down.
I loaded the boys in the van and headed to the Legacy Center to support Mackenzie. When we got there she was on the bars doing her routine. She was being 'spotted' on her jump. She waived to me and said 'hi' to her brothers. I asked if she was going to jump on her own. She was hesitant and said, "we'll see." I told her OK. what ever she was comfortable with. Then a few minutes later she smiled up at me and said, "watch." I watched her and then, she leaped. She flew like a bird onto the high bar. She caught it, swung up and around the high bar and did a beautiful dismount. She once again looked up at me and smiled her beautiful beaming smile. Once again, my heart swelled with pride for this young daughter of mine.
So where do we go from here. Who knows. She's not quite sure she wants to compete. After our talk she realized that it's OK. if she doesn't. I think she realizes how much better she can be if she waits. Also, it's nice to know that if she wants to or doesn't she now has the option.
2 comments:
:)
I think you are handling things right. Glad you were able to go and support her. maybe that's all it took for her to succeed. It's good you will let her decide about competing or not and that you'll support her no matter what she chooses. She maybe afraid if she doesn't she'll disappoint you. Unconditional love and support is what's important now.
Congrats Kenz on making your jump.
Post a Comment