Sunday, April 20, 2008

Racer # 8961

Whooohooo!! I did it. Yes the SLC. Marathon has come and gone. For all those wondering, I did it. I conquered it. And I'd do it again. It was the most challenging and painfully rewarding experience of my life. (next to childbirth) My good friend Emma and I pushed each other, supported each other and cheered each other on. So when I refer to "We" it is she and I.
The day started in the early morning of 4:15. My alarm was suppose to go off at 4:30, but I couldn't sleep. Remember when you were a kid and it was the night before going to the amusement park and you couldn't sleep and kept watching the clock. It was that kind of anxiety. I laced up the ol' shoes and got ready to pound the pavement. I picked Emma up at 5. and off we went. We had to be up to Salt Lake by 5:40 so we could catch the trax train to the start line. Once we reached the University of Utah campus the butterflies really started. Were we really here, were we really doing this, what were we thinking??? Now I have to pee.
That's exactly what I did next. Then we heard it, "Racers to the start line please." Oh boy here we go. No turning back now. 5 4 3 2 1...GO!! And off we went. Very slowly at first because of the congestion of people. Then everyone spread out and Emma and I found a nice comfortable pace and away we went. It felt great. We were actually passing people. There might be hope for us yet. We ran the first 4 miles and then decided to walk so that we could recharge and not kill ourselves. We walked until mile 6 and then off we went again. We ran until mile 8 then it was potty break time. And off we went to 9. That's when I lost Emma. She took off a little faster and I decided to walk. I walked to mile 10 and 11. Then it was time to go again. So mile 12 I walked/ran. Then the last mile it was no holding back for a strong finish. The home stretch was in sight it was right there waiting for me. The crowed was cheering, music was playing, people were encouraging you on. And then there they were, my sweet husband and kids standing on the side lines screaming "Go Mommy Go! Yeah" The feeling inside me was so over whelming. I sprinted to the finish. "Finishing Half Marathon runner #8961" It was the best sound ever.
When they announced my number it was priceless. Months of preparing. All the sweat, blood, and tears paid off. My goal has been achieved. It was exciting.
After the race I had my time chip removed and then fell into Tyler's proud and supporting embrace. He gave me a huge kiss and said," you did honey I'm so proud of you. "The kids were just as excited as I was. They gave me hugs and kisses and wanted to see the medal I got. Xander got to wear it and was so proud. Kenzie held onto my hand like she was parading me around. Dawson just wanted out of the stroller.
All and all, it was a wonderful experience. It is amazing to see the change that has occurred in me. My mind is clear and my body has been pushed to new limits. What a blessing this has been. I am thankful for my family's support through all this. And for Emma who kept me going. And to my Father in Heaven who blessed me with health and strength and with my wonderful family.

Here are my stats in case you wondered.
Miles ran=8
Miles walked=5
Time 2:40

Photobucket

Photobucket

11 comments:

Dan said...

I'm proud of you too, Ker! Sorry I haven't called you back, it's been a busy weekend. Congrats!

Dave said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! Nicely done! I'm impressed by your diligence and perseverance. You did it in 2 hrs 40 mins, I would have done it in 2 DAYS 40 mins!

mom said...

What a wonderful accomplishment! I knew you could do it. Your hard work has really paid off. Tell Ty I'm proud of him for actually getting he and the kids to the finish line before you. Next challenge is Sac Mtg before the Opening Hymn.

Kate said...

Awesome! Way to go sister! I'm so proud of you!!!

Missy said...

You are amazing. I would love to get my butt in shape like you. Maybe if I do we can do one together next year! We need some sisterly bonding! Love ya!

Dan said...

I agree with the bonding. You guys should come up again before we get too far into the semester and things get crazy!

Kate said...

Did I miss it, who is the random guy in the top photo?

Dan said...

Click on the pic, Kate.

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave said...

LOL! Thanks, Dan. I, too, was slightly confused by the random dude with the goofy look on his face. He looks like he got caught snatching that kid!

Keri said...

ok. Who's gonna do it next year with me?