I have a love/hate relationship with science fair projects. I hate all the work and effort and time they take. But, I love when they're done. This year I had 2 kids doing projects. Kenzie had to do a 7th grade project and Xander had to do a 5th grade project. And guess what, they couldn't be on a 2nd grade level.
Kenzie chose her own project and submitted it without me even knowing she had to do one.
She chose to see what foods conduct the most electricity. She used different foods such as: potatoes, red and green apples, lemons and oranges.
She and Tyler did most of her project. I just helped with the poster at the end.
She used a watt reader thingy to test each food.
Kenzie informed me, my job was to make it pretty.
So, that's what I did.
Let me tell you, she better appreciate it cause she left it to do till the night before.
This is what my work looks like at 4:30am.
Xander's project was more on my level. He decided to test the 5 second rule. He wanted to know if food left for 5 seconds on a floor really got that dirty or contaminated.
I ordered petri dishes online and away we went growing our own bacteria in our little homemade incubator.
First we used a control and then we dropped a piece of bread on the floor for 5 seconds. Then we got a new piece of bread and dropped it for 15 seconds, 30sec, 45 sec, and then a minute. After each timed drop we swabbed the bread and rubbed it in a petri dish. We repeated this process with a new slice of bread with each of the designated times.
Supplies for Xander's experiment
Timing the bread.
Swabbing the bread and petri dish.
Once the breads were all swabbed and the petri dishes sealed we placed them in our little incubator.
A simple plastic tote with a clip lamp attached.
We let the petri dishes bake for a few days and documented their growth.
After 2 days, this is what we had.
Nasty!
Yes that would be bacteria. After only 5 seconds.
This is scrapbook paper at it's finest.
1 comment:
Very interesting projects. Hope they appreciated you doing the boards. Maybe they need to do them next year so they really appreciate what you did.
So what were the results?
Post a Comment