Have you ever sat back and wondered what things mean to kids as opposed to us adults that say the things. It's funny how we think we're perfectly clear in our meanings,but with children the words can have a completely different meaning.
Case in point; This morning I was in the hallway listening to Xander and Mackenzie as they got ready for school. In the mornings the kids brush their teeth at my sink (mainly so I can make sure it gets done) and Kenz always goes first while Xander lays in my bed.
Xander hops in the bed so excited that he gets to wait while kenz still brushes. Kenzie then says to him, in a very un-nice tone "Well, I hope you know you only get to lay there for less than 3 minutes."
I interrupted her and said, Kenz that was very 'snotty'. Why would you say that? She looked at me very confused and said, "What do you mean, I don't have any snot."
So my daughter got a lesson in what being a 'snot' meant.
I used one of those 'Golden Rule' turn it around ideas.
How would she feel if it was her that hopped in the bed and Xander said, what she did to him, to her. It worked she knew exactly what I meant and that it wasn't a nice thing to say. It was more the 'snotty' tone in which it was said that lead to the whole discussion.
But, never the less a lesson was learned and hopefully it will do some good.
3 comments:
A thousand years ago when I was young, there was a t.v. program called 'Art Linkletter' and he had a segment of the program called 'Kids say the darnedest things' it was always a high light of the show. Children's innocent thoughts and ideas spoken are the greatest. Your kids prove that.
How bout a little My Turn on Earth reminder. If you were a cat etc etc.
mom, that's what the golden Rule is from.
Post a Comment