Friday, July 1, 2011

Seasons Come And Seasons Go.

Another gymnastic season has come and gone. And with it Mackenzie did an awesome job. I have loved watching her overcome her own personal obstacles and conquer her fears. She had many ups and downs this season. First, she had to push past her fears and make that stinkin' jump to the high bar. Which she achieved the Wednesday before her first meet. Nothing like waiting till almost the last moment. The first meet was that Saturday!

2nd, she had to realize that this level of competition is much more intense than lvl.4. The girls are more competitive and some are greatly more advanced. But, at the same time it was my job as the mom to reinforce the fun of the sport and and that all is expected of her is her best and to have fun. She left a few meets in tears because of her scores. I will admit her scores did not reflect her performance. It all depends on what the judges are looking for and seeing. Her coaches admitted that Kenz got robbed on a few performances. But, she progressed and kept going. You don't get silver medals for chopped liver!

3rd. Kenz's love for gymnastics continues to grow. She's currently working on her lvl 6 skills. She'll compete lvl 5 one more season and if her all-around scores average a 34 she'll move onto lvl 6. Her average was a 33 this season. So she's not far away. The benefit of her competing lvl 5 again is that she'll already have the experience of 1 season under her belt and it gives her more time to perfect her skills. Plus, the new girls competing this lvl can look to her as inspiration.

I don't know how far or for how much longer Kenz is going to keep going. She amazes me with her talent and determination and dedication. How many 10 yr olds do you know that get up during summer vacation and go to practice 3-4 days a week, 3 hrs a day to tumble, flip, and roll on a floor. Run toward a stationary object it hopes of flipping over it and not smacking right into it. Balance on a board just barley wide enough for your foot. And keep your balance while doing cartwheels, jumps, spins, and handstands on it. Or Who in their right mind would willing swing onto a bar, flip around it, then squat on it just to jump onto another bar higher further away.

Someone once asked me if she gets nervous during her meets. My reply was "not as nervous as me!" Her reply to the question was, "I do this everyday. It's nothing."

Way to rock this spring season. See ya again this fall when we do it all over again.

4 comments:

Deb and Don Keith said...

Kenzie, you are a winner! ... and so is your Mom!

mom said...

I have really enjoyed watching her progress this year. I like her comment about getting nervous. She does an incredible job and you have every reason to be proud. So should she. I'm just the far away gma and I am.

mom said...

I have really enjoyed watching her progress this year. I like her comment about getting nervous. She does an incredible job and you have every reason to be proud. So should she. I'm just the far away gma and I am.

Kate said...

Great job, Kenz! Sorry I missed this season, we'll come see you next year.